Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Sorry Grandma

So I have been informed that I need to update this thing, haha sorry Grandma.

Not much has gone on in the past week or so. I finished my school experience which was eye opening. I was thrown into the class by myself on more than one occasion, I made a very poorly prepared substitute. I think the hardest thing was when Patrick's mom died. She had died the night before and of course Patrick was gone from class, but the principal came in to inform the class so when he said a prayer for Patrick the kids wouldn't be taken by surprise. Well this happened to be the day that I was alone in the classroom and trying to have control while at the same time watching these 9 and 10 year olds deal with death in the form of a mother was heartbreaking.
The kids showed me so much though too. I blew their minds when I told them that we did indeed have McDonald's in America and I watched their shocked and surprised reaction when I told them that kids attended school until they were at least 16 but often staying until they were 18. It saddened me to know that some of the kids in that school won't get that education, I know they are bright kids with a lot on their shoulders, it's just hard to see them struggle so.

I went to Dundalk on Saturday to mail off my Christmas packages, saved over £200 and spent 2 hours wandering this small town down in the Republic. On Sunday we got bored and took the train to Derry, to see the scenery we missed when we took the bus the first time. We wer in Derry long enough to get some Burger King, it tastes different here, and then headed back on the train to go to Lisburn. We got to Lisburn expecting a big Christmas display and market; however, everyone we asked about the market to was completely perplexed.

Other than that not a lot going on, I leave in exactly two weeks and turned in my last paper yesterday. Only one test left! Just planning on seeing as much as I can in the coming days; heading with Paulina to Cave Hill, Belfast Zoo, Belfast Castle, and possibly Queen's University tomorrow and then leaving for Paris on Friday morning to spend 6 days there. And tonight I have the Maths Christmas dinner which should being interesting, class but interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erica, Thanks for the update. I worry when I do not hear. I'm sure you did the best you could in your situation at the school, and they will remember the teacher from America for some time. Be safe now and have a great time in Paris. Want to hear all about it, plus pictures.