Monday, September 29, 2008

Happy Birthday...Let me steal your purse...

Happy Birthday to ME!!!! Yea this had to be the most memorable birthday.

It started out fairly well, I didn’t get to call my family and Chris like I had planned since St. Mary’s was closed. So undeterred I was determined to get a phone, my alarm clock here as been possessed adding or subtracting up to two hours every night and I needed a reliable clock as school was starting shortly. Vanessa, Jenny from Sweden and I headed to the cell phone shop, unfortunately they were out of the cheap phone, so we when grocery shopping and bought cleaning supplies for the house. During this transaction I move my wallet to my front pocket of my backpack as it wouldn’t fit in with the groceries. After returning to the house, we left again and walked down to the City Centre. We walked into a crowded clothing store to see if we could find any deals. While amongst all the bumping and jostling, I was robbed…lost at least 100 pounds, my check card, check blanks, driver’s license, the assortment. Needless to say I cried, nothing like stress, homesickness, and being robbed to make you happy. The police officer was very understanding and honest, so I have to go the Consulate on Monday or Tuesday to get another ID so I can go out at night, although for the most part once they hear the American accent they don’t seem to care.

Once I got home from the robbing and walking home in the rain, I found that the girls had planned a night out in my honor. Ali (Georgia) and Nicole (Pennsylvania) made me cupcakes and the girls from Spain made a pasta salad. We went to a renaming night for a pub, it was crowded and we were obviously younger than the normal crowd. Lessons learned from the pub: Guiness and black currant taste quite nice, boys from Norway can’t dance, boys from Belfast have no rhythm, and being tipsy plus heels equals not the greatest combination. However, the girls made sure that everyone knew it was my birthday with this lovely piece of work...

So after a couple hours of drinking and dancing we decided to make the trek home. I was fairly sober at this point, only wobbling because my feet were so badly swollen. Unfortunately due to some miscommunication the taxi dropped us off at St. Mary’s, approximately 6 blocks from my house. As I walked along I encountered the shirtless drunk who yelled and generally made a fool of himself and reminded me why I don’t get drunk.

Shortly after arriving home, I was summoned to the front door to let a roommate in with a boy, and not an hour after that I was awoken by yet another roommate entering with a boy. I need to invest in some earplugs here shortly.

No comments: