Saturday, October 4, 2008

The "Troubles"

So during the trip to the castle yesterday, my eyes were opened. I never did a lot of research before coming over here and for that I slightly regret it and yet am happy that my first experiences are untainted by book reading. The “troubles” are not gone in the slightest, they are bubbling under the surface and there is sure to be another out break within the next century, most likely even more deadly due to the abundance of weapons and machinery available. On the way to the castle, we passed by an integrated school, Protestant and Catholic Nursery and Primary School, which has become such a flash point in the community. According to Dr. Scott, there have been at least 5 murders around the school of people simply crossing the segregated lines and getting caught in the religious and political crossfire.

I live deep in the middle of the Catholic part of town, I go to a Catholic university, yet I am a Protestant. I can not wear any of my DWU clothing, no sweatshirts, t-shirts; the only thing I can wear is my sweatpants because they simply say DWU Tigers; Wesleyan is not written anywhere on them. I do not believe that any real harm could come from wearing these pieces of clothing; however, I do not wish to upset anyone or put myself in a compromising condition.

The country of Northern Ireland is split in two, and the “troubles” echo that of the Civil Rights Movement, which is ironically enough why the riots started in the first place, to echo that of America’s struggle with division. Yet, this struggle is so deeply rooted and gone on for so long that it will take more than just a few decades to fix. It began hundreds of years ago and will continue for awhile.

I realize I’m starting to babble, but at the same time I am still just seeing and understanding all of this for the first time. It’s so crazy to see such open hatred and segregation and yet for the people in my classes it’s normal; 1969 was almost 4 decades ago, the rules and regulations set in place to keep the peace are normal even if they separate an entire city, country.

No comments: